News & Articles
Browse all content by date.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 17, 1926
Duluth Herald
Aug. 13, 1888
THE DAY IN THE CITY.
The city council meets this evening.
The chamber of commerce holds an important meeting to-morrow morning.
The India arrived this forenoon from Bffalo with 120 cabin passengers.
It is not expected that the Spalding will be ready for occupancy before November.
Commodore Chambers’ stone scow, that sunk sometime ago while on her way to Duluth with a load of brown stone, has been raised and is being repaired.
There were nearly 150 St. Paul people on the excursion given yesterday from that city to Two Harbors. They left Duluth at 2 o’clock on he Ossifrage, returning in the evening.
Mr. Buchanan, one of the owners of the silver mine in the Port Arthur region, has sent to the city a specimen of ore containing blende, sulphide, leaf and native silver in great richness. Considering what it contains this is probably ione of the finest specimens ever seen in Duluth.
The Philadelphia Railroad Record is not disposed to give Duluth its due in the following item. “There is no city in the northwest but Tacoma engaged in putting up more than a million dollars worth of brick buildings on one street alone.” Duluth has, in six buildings now under construction on one street, $650,000, and in smaller brick structures on the same street, $150,000 more. And the same street is being paved at a cost of $160,000. It will be a long day before Tacoma or any of her western neighbors can come up to Duluth in improvements.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 13, 1888.
Duluth Herald
Aug. 14, 1896
Deaths for the month.
A regular and important meetng of the board of helath was held Saturday night. Deaths for the month wre reported as 31, and births 45, 20 males and 25 females. The partial analyss of water received from Redwing was read and the health officer reported that he had closed all public wells on Minnesota Point. A garbage crematory was again recommended, and it was decided to have a thorough inspection of the water works intake pipe by a diver at once. The waterocmpany was ordered to clean out the reservoir at once. Trustees of the Scandinavian cemetery were present and admitted that time would soon come when they would be compelled to change their location. They decided to discuss the matter among themselves. After considerable further discussion the board adjourned.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 15, 1906
Duluth Herald
Aug. 15, 1906
SIXTY-FIVE
AUTOS HERE
List of Licenses Issues by City
Clerk Steadily Growing.
Three New Machines Will Arrive
in the City Shortly.
There are just sixty-five automobiles in Duluth.
Sixty-seven licenses have been isues by the city clerk, but since the issuance of the licenses onemachine has been sold and the sixty-seventh, which is owned by W. F. Bailey, has not yet arrived but will be here within a few days. Two other machines have been ordered by local citiens and will be here shortly. They are both electrical machines and have been ordered by J. B. Cotton and W. B. Brown.
Of the machines already in the city, F. W. Heimick owns No. 1 and 13 is owned by the Duluth Electrical Construction company. That number was formerly owned by G. A. Wood. Whether it was to avoid the hoodoo in connection with it or not, canot be said, but Mr. Wood traded with the Duluth Electrical Cosntruction company and took its number, which is 16. The skidoo number “23” is owned by F. W. Hurst, the West Duluth jeweler.Dr. David Seashore of West Duluth purchased J. J. Frey’s machine, but probably never though of the combination ofnumbers on it. It is No. 36, which is a combination of thirteen and twenty-three. L. R. Martin is holder of the generally accepted lucky number 7.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 17, 1926
Duluth Herald
Aug. 16, 1916
CITY GOLF LINKS AND TENNIS COURTS
City Recretational Director Has Dream of Adequate Facilities for Many Kinds of Sports.
Extensive public recareational facilities to include muhnicipal golf links, about twenty public tennis courts and adequate swimming beaches are planed during the next few years by J. R.Batchelor, recreational director.
“Of course, our funds won’t permit extensive plans at this time,” said Mr. Batchelor this morning, “but I am looking forward to the very near future, wen Duluth will be in a position to establish golf links and a central swimming pavilion and bathing beach.
“There are amny other matters that require our immediate attention, and just as soon as they playgrounds are properly equipped and outdoor programs for the children well under way, then Duluth should take into consideration the proposed golf links and swimming facilities.”
Two tenis courts will be laid out at Chester park during the next few days and two courts will be established both at Harison park and the Denfeld high school grounds some time this summer. Two courts have already been completed at the Stowe school gorunds.
It is Mr. Batchelor’s plan to establish about a dozen tennis courts in various parts of the city next year and eight additional courts the following year, so that every part of the city will be provided.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 19, 1946
Duluth Herald
Aug. 17, 1926
NOTORIOUS INN
TO BE REOPENED
Lakewood Resort Has Ban Lifted on Promises to U.S.
James A. Pearce, deputy United States Marshal, yesterday afternoon removed the padlock from the Lakewood inn on a Federal court order from Judge Sanborn of St. Paul.
TheLakewod in, one of the most notorious road hosues in Northern Minesota, which had figured in many raids in recent years, is to be reopened within a few weeks and operated in alawful manner, according to promises made by the new owners to Judge Sanborn, who acted in the absence of Jadge Cant, the latter now being on a tour of Scotland.
The entire building is to be remodeled and decorated, Mrs. Marie Evans, owner of the inn, announced this morning. In addition, the structure is to be leased within a few days to responsible persons, who have guaranteed the Federal authorities there will be no violations of the national prohiobitiobn lawson the premises in the future.
Only a caretaker, who occupied a small room on the first floor, has been permitted in the building since it was closed last February.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 18, 1936.
Duluth Herald
Aug. 18, 1936
Cloquet Birlers
Perform at Fair
Mrs. Waldron Herbert (Laura Marchand) and Jackie Dulong, both of Cloquet, will leave the latter part of this week for Milwaukee, where they will participate in log-r9olling contests featured at the Wisconsin state fair Saturday and all next week.
Mrs. Hebert, who wil compete against several for the ladies’ championship, won the national championship at Cloquet a cpoipl;e years ago. She should make a strong bid for the title at Milwaukee.
Jackie, who is 15 years old, has appeared in exhibition with Mrs. Hebert on a number of programs throughout the Northwest the last two years. He will compete against boys of his age.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 20, 1956
Duluth Herald
Aug. 19, 1946
‘Operation C-X’ to Cover Duluth
“Operation C-X for Health,” the first project of its kind in the world in a large city, will get under way in Duluth in November.
“Operation C-X,” meaning Chest X-Rays,” was disclosed today with appointment of Charles F. Liscomb, Duluth business man and civic leader, by Mayor George W. Johnson as chairman of the project in which every man, woman and child in the city will have the opportunity to participate.
Duluth as the site for the largest single X-Ray tuberculosis survey ever to be undertaken will have the distinction of being the first metropolitan center for mass radiography with a mobile laboaratory being used.
“Operation C-X for Healthwill be another milestone on the pioneering pathway blazed in 1943 when the Christmas seals-financed trabeling X-ray unit began its function in St. Louis county in the first community-wide examination anywhere,”Mayor Johnson said today.
Mr. Liscomb, in accepting the appointment, pointed to the project as “amajor step in the commnutiy helath affecting every person – young and old – in Duluth and one which will require the co-pperatopnm pf everyone. In co-operating with health organizaitons and institutions, a great volunteer progrsm will be established. Duluth will learn about itself as never before for the good of all as Christmas seals pay off. It will be an achievement which everyone will be proud to participate, with no cost and little effort.”
Operation C-X will be conducted jointly by the Duluth city helath department and the St. Louis County Tuberculosis and Health association, and Nopeming sanatorium.
Except for a few integrated groups at Duluth industries early in 1945 and in 1943, the moile X-ray unit has covered resident on the Iraon ange and in rural areas since it was purchased about three years ago.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 16, 1916
Duluth Herald
Aug. 20, 1956
Lake Strike
Till On
No new developments wre reported today in a Great Lakes shipping strike, now in its third week. It has tied up three fleets and idled some 12,000 area workers.
The strike is beingconducted by the Marine Engineers Beneficial association and the Masters, Mates and Pilots association against U.S. Steel’s Pittsburgh Steamship devision, Republic Steel Corp. and the Shenango Furnace Co.
The unions say they seek recognition and contracts as bargaining agents for licensed crewmen.
Pittsburgh Steamship officials said today three oftheir ships have left Conneaut, Ohio, for an undisclosed location.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 22, 1966
Duluth Herald
Aug. 22, 1966
Not Cut
Out for
Supper
Some little piggies go to market and some little piggies stay home – butthis little piggy did neither. He went wee-wee-wee and ran away from home.
That’s what “supper” did, much to the dismay of the Robert Hookland family, 2344 Woodland Ave.
“Supper” is a 45-pound pig the Hoolands purchases, on the hoof, Saturday for a Labor Day weekend barbecue at their Island Lake cottage.
It seems Hookland always has had a burning desire to roast a whole pig over an open fire. So he purchased the pig from a Poplar, Wis., farmer and was going to keep it alive in a fenced-in pen at the Hookland yard.
“We named the pig ‘Supper’ to remind our five children what he is for,” Mrs. Hookland said. “But now that he’s gone, we do miss him and my husband is afraid he won’t get his chance at roasting a whole pig.”
“Supper” found a small opening in the pen and was last seen by a neighbor wandering toward nearby Forest Hill Cemetery. A search of the cemetery grounds failed to turn him up.
Mrs. Hookland described the pig as “a boy pig, I think. And anyway, there can’t be too many little pigsa wandering around Woodland or Hunter’s Park.”
| Tweet |


