News & Articles
Browse all content by date.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 15, 1966.
Duluth Herald
Aug. 6, 1888
A TUG SINKS
The John McKay, Jr. Sinks
at the Dock Yesterday.
Before noon Sunday the tug John McKay belonging to the Jeffrey Bros., sank while tied to the St. Paul & Duluth dock near Lake avenue. A few minutes after she settled in the water all that was visible of the boat was a few inches of the top of her flag staff. Williams, Upham & Co.’s diver was sent down to put chains about her hull and N. Grignon has today been superintending the job of raising the little tug. By tomorrow she will be in as good shape as ever. The sinking was the result of a leakage about the siphon pump or of the accidental opening of some cock. It is impossible yet to determine which. She is owned by the Jeffrey Bros., who bought her off Capt. John Flynn about two months ago and she was chartered for the season by the C. N. Nelson Lumber co. to work about Grassy Point.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 6, 1888.
Duluth Herald
Aug. 7, 1896
SAID TO HAVE ELOPED.
Charles Prince and Mrs. C. C. King
Are Missing.
The police would like to know where Charles Prince is. So would his deserted wife and the husband of the woman with whom he is said to have eloped. Prince was formerly the proprietor of a barber shop at 9 First avenue west. He sold out his establishment some weeks ago, disposed of what other property he possessed and then, turning his back on the woman who has stood by him through good and evil report, the mother of his children, and is said to have stolen away with the wife of a friend who trusted him. He is now supposed to be adjourning in unknown parts with his paramour, while his penniless family faces starvation at home. The woman in the case is the wife of Charles C. King, residing at Duluth Heights.
Prince departed on July 28 last. It is evident that he and Mrs. King had been maturing the plan for some time, for it has been ascertained that not only had he transferred his business, but that he had carefully packed up and disposed of about all of his portable effects, just falling short of taking the carpets from under his wife’s feet. Finally, the favorable moment that Satan never fails to provide arrived. King, who had met business reverses and had struggled long and manfully to keep the wolf from the door and provide the wife who has proven faithless with comforts and luxuries, journeyed to Michigan on the chance of procuring work.
Upon his departure, Prince and Mrs. King became a little more open and reckless in their love making. Even then, it was only after Mrs. Prince’s discovery that her husband had sold his property and that want stared her and her children in the face that she made known the facts in the case. Then she applied to Humane Officer Haskins for advice. The latter made arrangements to have the children, three in number, aged 7 and 5 years, and 18 months, cared for, and placed evidence in the hands of the police, who are now searching for the errant pair.
King returned from Michigan several days ago and found his life partner gone and his three children being taken care of by the neighbors. He has sent the children to friends in Michigan and announces his determination to do all in his power to run the guilty couple to earth.
Prince, some four years ago, became involved in an intrigue with his sister-in-law. She finally died from blood poisoning in one of the hospitals. This amour was carried on in his own house and under his wife’s eyes. Her remonstrances were either ignored or met with brutal taunts, until, finally, crazed by humiliation and shame, she, in a moment of frenzy, attacked her husband with a carving knife, inflicting a wound on his throat, the scar of which he yet carries. The general sentiment was that Mrs. Prince had not cut deep enough and the case against her was not pressed.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 10, 1926.
Duluth Herald
Aug. 8, 1906
EDGAR BROWN WAS
NOT DISCOVERER.
Dead Sault Man Operated But
Did Not Find Them.
A dispatch from the Sault has the following news which will be of rather startling interest to this part of the country, and to those in particular who are acquainted with the history of the Mesaba and Vermilion ranges:
“Edgar Brown, the discoverer of the famous Mesaba and Vermilion iron ranges, in Northern Minnesota, died in a local hospital today penniless.
“Not only did Brown discover these famous iron ore deposits, but it is said he developed them until they were rated as worth $13,000,000.”
D. T. Adams said today that he has met Mr. Brown, but for the first time has learned that he was discoverer of the two iron ranges mentioned. Mr. Adams said that Mr. Brown appeared on the Vermilion range several years after it was discovered by George Stunz, and the only connection he had with it was dealing in options and claims, the same as pretty nearly every other St. Louis county man has done at some time or other. As to Mr. Brown’s operation on the Mesaba range, Mr. Adams says that Brown did not appear on that range for about three years after it was developed. The discovery of the Mesaba range must be credited equally between Mr. Adams and the Merritts, both of whom made the first strikes almost simultaneously, and the late Mr. Brown’s claim is, therefore, without foundation. Mr. Adams did not know of his ever being in deep enough to have developed $13,000,000 worth of property on either or both ranges.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 7, 1896.
Duluth Herald
Aug. 9, 1916
‘HUMAN FLY’ OPENS CARNIVAL
SPECTACULAR
CLIMB MADE
SUCCESSFULLY
Thousands See Harry Gardiner
Clamber Up the Torrey Building.
While a crowd estimated at 25,000 watched breathlessly, Harry H. Gardiner, “The Human Fly,” climbed the outside walls of the Torrey building during the noon hour today, performing the most spectacular feat of daring ever seen in the city.
It was the opening of he Duluth regatta carnival and certainly proved a thriller. Decked out in a suit of white with a hat to match and with a Duluth Herald carrier’s sack thrown across his shoulders, “The Human Fly” started on his climb from the sidewalk in front of the Torrey building promptly at 12:15.
By 12:10 the seething mass of excited humanity became so dense that all street cars were brought to a standstill, automobiles and commercial trucks had to be routed up Second and Fifth avenues to First street and business in general throughout the downtown came to an abrupt stop.
“The Human Fly” took hold of the west corner of the Torrey building and nimbly climbed to the top of the first story window ledge, where he made a short speech in which he stated that he intended remaining here for the remainder of the week and would climb a number of other buildings. He also stated that he would appear at the Grand theater during his stay in the city.
“As I stop at each story in my ascension, I will yell ‘Don’t forget,’ and I want the crowd to respond with ‘The Duluth Herald’,” Mr. Gardiner said.
When he reached the top of the final ninth floor and made an effort to reach the roof was where the real thrill of the act came. After making several unsuccessful attempts, he took hold of the scrolled cornice work at the very pinnacle of the building and suspended by one hand swung his body out over the street. A chill of awe ran through the multitude of upturned faces of a majority of the spectators believed “the fly” was losing his grip and would soon fall. Instead he swung like the pendulum of a large clock until he secured the proper impetus when he threw one leg over the top of the cornice and using both hands pulled his body onto the roof.
Jumping to his feet he grabbed an American flag with a Duluth Boat club pennant attached and began waving it proudly amid the deafening cheers of the vast assemblage.
His act was over and his feat well done.

Duluth Herald
Aug. 10, 1926
SINCLAIR LEWIS AND PRINCESS POSE FOR PHOTOGRAPH IN THE NORTH WOODS
Sinclair Lewis is just as much at home hobnobbing with royalty as he is “showing up” the “ordinary folks” of “Main Street,” and is proving it at Red Crest, summer home of Mr. and Mrs. B. G. Dahlberg of Chicago on Jack Fish island, Rainy Lake, near International Falls. The noted writer has just joined the Dahlberg’s house party arranged in honor of Princess Maria, and, living in the Indian lodge the owner built on the estate, is shaping up a new novel. The arrangement permits him to seclude himself for at least two hours’ work on the story daily. Mrs. Dahlberg is at left, Princess Maria right.

Duluth Herald
Aug. 11, 1936
Safety Worker Displays Death Head
Stanley E. Anderson, traffic safety crusader of Superior, who is promoting highway safety through his own initiative, is shown here beside the “death’s head” front that he has built on the radiator of his automobile, and which drew considerable attention in Duluth Friday. The slogan, “Death Scavenger of the Highway,” surmounts the head. Mr. Anderson recently finished a crusade tour through Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Texas.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 12, 1946.
Duluth Herald
Aug. 12. 1946
POLIO CASE
LIST RISES
Two new non-resident cases of poliomyelitis were reported today by Dr. Mario Fischer, Duluth director of public health, in the latest compilation of infantile paralysis cases now being treated in Duluth hospitals.
No new local patients were reported, leaving the Duluth total at four cases. The new cases, one from Superior and one from International Falls, sent the out-of-town count hospitalized here to 13.
The present out-of-town case load includes six from Superior, two from International Falls and one each from Cloquet, Proctor, Hibbing, Littlefork and Fountain City, Wis.,
Dr. Herbert Christianson, Superior city health director, reported the total count in Superior was 10 today, four being hospitalized there and six in Duluth.
He said officials of various public amusements, including those of the Tri-State fair, have given him assurance they would comply with the advisory issued Saturday asking that children 15 tears of age and under be denied admission until the current threat of polio has subsided.
Duluth Herald, Aug. 13, 1956.
Duluth Herald
Aug. 13, 1956
Ship Picketing
Is Continuing
Picketing continued today at the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range railway ore docks in Duluth and at other Great Lakes ports where vessels of U.S. Steel’s Pittsburgh Steamship division and Shenango Furnace Co. are moored.
The firms ships have been idled by a walkout of members of the AFL-CIO National Marine Engineers Beneficial association, and the Masters, Maters and Pilots association. The two unions seek representation as bargaining agents for licensed crewmen and cooks.
Meanwhile, about 7,100 miners employed by the Oliver Iron Mining division, who have been idled by the shipping strike, have begun filing for unemployment compensation in Iron Range communities.

Duluth Herald, Aug. 12, 1946.
Duluth Herald
Aug. 15, 1966
ARENA CROWDED OVER WEEKEND FOR FINAL EVENTS
Enthusiastic crowds jammed events Sunday which marked the end of the 11-day grand opening of Duluth’s Arena-Auditorium and the 1966 Portorama.
Jospeh Sturckler, Arena Auditorium manager, said 9,500 persons attended events at the complex Sunday. This brought the total for the 11-day grand opening celebration to 115,000 persons.
Such a large number of children attended the free public skating in the Arena Sunday afternoon that the ice melted and had to be resurfaced. The thawing, which is not expected to happen again, was due to both the number of skates and the warm weather, Sturckler said.
At the same time, the Auditorium crowds were attending a square dance demonstration.
The parking lot was filled to capacity all afternoon with persons attending the final open house.
The Arena was busy throughout the weekend. Friday night, 2,600 teenagers attended a dance. Saturday afternoon more than 10,000 persons took in the annual Folk Festival, and Saturday night a capacity crowd of 7,180, mostly teenagers, saw the Beach Boys. This was the largest paid crowd of any opening event.
Rodney LaFave, Portorama chairman for the sponsoring Duluth Jaycees, said that despite bad weather, the celebration was the most successful in history. More than 20,000 buttons, a record number, sold for $1. A record crowd of about 50,000 saw the parade.
The events closed with a giant fireworks display in the evening.
| Tweet |


